Time to start rewriting everything.
Tired and defeated, I am retreating once more from Windows back to GNU/Linux…
Curse you, Windows!
Spectrum White is gone.
Everything just disappeared.
Tens of thousands of lines of code, countless hours of time spent working and tirelessly tapping away at little buttons to make little letters and words and symbols appear on the screen…
Literally just vanished without a trace.
All of the files are gone.
I don’t know why, I don’t know how, but they’re gone.
I’ve decided on using the Atari 2600 128-color (NTSC) palette for Spectrum White. It shows a wide range of color and also has a nice amount of tints and shades of primary colors available for use.
I could’ve used the 104-color (PAL) palette, but you can see why I didn’t.
(It’s not very pretty.)
A 256x256x256 cube only uses about 10mB of RAM now, thanks to 8-bit color.
Plus, everything looks legitimately retro now.
Also, I just reduced the amount of RAM a 256x256x256 hollow cube in Spectrum White uses from 3,840 mB to 30 mB.
Which is still way too much.
Let’s all procrastinate and not back up our files, making up excuses as to why we don’t have the time for it.
Take her for a spin!
..Just know that this is a very primitive test and that the engine is still in very early stages.
EDIT: The link 404’d. It should be fixed now.
My new laptop was returned in favor of a smaller model.
To make up for the unexpected hiatus, I’ll be uploading a treat in a few hours here.
Speaking of exceptionally handsome…
A completely original, custom lighting engine is making it’s way into Spectrum White, as shown in this little demo here. It’s in a very early stage, and there’s still a large amount of tweaking to be done, but it works!
A new year, a new computer!
Got a Sager NP6165, and I’m loving it so far.
Just repartitioning the hard drive at the moment, and I’ll be back to working on projects soon.
Happy New Years everybody!
My computer is fried.
My motherboard is on the fritz, and I don’t have anything to fall back on.
Probably won’t be able to get anything done for at least a week or two, while I await a replacement.